Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bean's arrival

 Our little bean took her sweet time coming. In fact, we ended up having to evict her a few days ahead of her due date because of my gd and the doctor's schedule.

We went in to the doctor's office for my weekly visit. At that point I was already at 4, but no contractions. So we decided that we would induce me Friday if little miss didn't decide to come before then (which she didn't). 

So in the wee hours of Friday morning, we awoke and headed over to the hospital. After a lengthy check in process (apparently it was a busy time of year for having babies), we got settled into our room in L&D. The on-call ob did one final ultra sound to make sure Bean was in the right position and give us a weight estimate.


Even with how far along I was to start, labor and delivery took quite some time. 13 hours after the initial induction we were finally blessed with the arrival of our little girl. She was a healthy 7 lbs 11 oz and 20 in long.


Needless to say, I was exhausted and starving by the time it was over. A good friend brought us food that night. I couldn't really eat much, even though I really wanted to. Then around 2 am we got moved from our room in L&D to our postpartum room, and our Bean joined us a little later.



Because of some minor complications from the delivery, I ended up having to stay in the hospital a little longer than anticipated. In the end, I'm glad for that though because Bean ended up having some borderline bilirubin levels that we had to treat with photo-therapy. We spent a total of 2 and a half days (from time of check-in to discharge). Once we were both cleared, we packed up and headed home to start life as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment