Saturday, April 16, 2011

Adventures in Kayaking

Friday was quite the adventure with kayaking. One of my favorite groups to take out, Blinn College, met us at Armand Bayou for what was to prove to be an adventurous day. Robert, their instructor and long time friend of AB, insists that the students always help (as part of the kayak experience). This of course made it much easier. 


As we cruised Armand Bayou I was wondering where the gators were. We usually see a handful of them as we go. Some how I missed a 4-5 ft gator as we headed out. Later we saw a 2 ft baby as we were eating lunch. Lamenting on our return trip that we had seen much, off to my left I saw a fairly sizable alligator. Just one didn't bother me so much, the second one though inspired some healthy concern. The former had to have been at least 6 feet, while the latter was a good 2 feet bigger. My guess was that they were a nesting pair. The smaller on stayed at the surface, but the larger one never came back up. It was quite the run in, my heart definitely skipped a few beats.


On our way back, we hit a pothole and managed to seriously bend our rim causing a flat. Thankfully we were near a precinct of the Houston Police Department. An officer was nice enough to bang it back into place so we could make it back to Galveston. Never a dull day at work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment